Frequently Asked Questions
If you are sending marketing, newsletters, or any other bulk email, you need an account with a bulk email service. MailChimp offers a free account up to 2000 subscribers and 12000 emails per month. This covers most needs. If you need more than that, you can upgrade with them and pay the reasonable monthly fee.
Why should I do that instead of just sending a message from my email app with a bunch of recipients?
- When you have a large list of emails, there are bound to be wrong addresses. When the wrong people get your message, they mark it as spam and that affects the reputation of our mail server. That causes delivery problems for everyone's messages. When you use a service, it doesn't affect your personal messages.
- MailChimp will add an unsubscribe link to each email and make it easy for those people who no longer want what you're sending. (I know it's hard to believe someone wouldn't want your message). This ensures compliance with the CAN-SPAM law. Even if you don't think your message is subject to the law, someone else may not agree and it doesn't matter when they can mark it as spam and hurt you.
- MailChimp will automatically clean up your list when it gets a notice that an email address is no longer valid. This saves you time! (Those cleaned addresses will still be available in your list, so you can make them active again if this scares you)
- MailChimp provides reports so you see who actually reads your messages or clicked a link in your message. This can be very helpful information.
- MailChimp has forms you can embed on your website to allow new subscribers to signup automatically. They can integrate with Wordpress and just about everything else as well.
What about Mailman in cPanel?
Mailman is really meant for the type of mailing list where everyone on the list is participating in a discussion. It's sort of like a forum just in email. It's not meant for one way communication to your list and doesn't provide the features MailChimp does.
If we detect anyone sending bulk email from our mail server, you can expect we will contact you and we may shut down your account if you don't respond in a reasonable amount of time.